Wednesday 22 December 2021

Odd Projects

A lot of the odd projects in 2021 don't really fit in the other review categories, so I'm making a separate post.


COLLABORATIVE DRAWING


I found a program online that allows collaborative drawing -- Aggie.io.  This program would work well with drawing the model on Zoom, because everyone gets the same view of the same pose.

John Tollett collaborated with me, though with different poses from the same drawing session.  The canvas is still up online for collaboration.



The collaboration looked a lot better after I enhanced it with AI (Artificial Intelligence) using Deep Dream Generator:


AI enhanced collaborative drawing


Clara also allows for online collaboration in 3D, even at the same time (February 9, 2021):






SANTA FE FEATURED ARTISTS


John Tollett featured a lot of the artists from the Tuesday Night Drawing group of Santa Fe on his blog -- A Gallery Somewhere.



The Featured Artists so far are:

 

JSPAINT

Jspaint is an online image editor that allows one to change colors by speaking.  Imagine how much more fluid Photoshop would be if one could voice some of the commands, like color or line width.  Jspaint also allows collaboration online:






FIVERR

I hire pondowolimo from Indonesia on Fiverr to translate the first drawing from my book into a 3D figure,  basically outsourcing my art:

My drawing in 3D
created by pondowolimo on fiverr





Then I animated the 3D figure:

into the 3D figure above



DADA NYC

DADA from NYC is an online call-and-response collaborative drawing format, where someone from anywhere in the world can answer your drawing.  Holly Grimm told me about it:






AUGUMENTED REALITY

I imported some of my sculptural drawings (created in Paint 3D) into Augmented Reality using the Adobe Aero software and app:





I posted a few mock-ups of what I want to do with the Augmented Reality app, projecting my sculptural drawing next to my favorite sculptures in Albuquerque, and the Vault Art Gallery in Santa Fe, devoted to digital art: 








The real experience was not always as impressive as the mock-ups:





MONSTER MASH

I used the Monster Mash program online to create an animation in 3D, which I could export in Augmented Reality -- but I did it so fast that the result was ugly:





WALK WALK HOME

Walk Walk Home was a worldwide collaborative exhibition in Japan that I participated in, by altering one of their frogs in Deep Dream Generator and uploading it to the live stream animation (which is no longer running):






THE ANARCHESTRA

I enjoyed interacting with Andy and the Anarchestra while I was in Tucson (2009 - 2016), as his approach in music had parallels with my approach to art.




VECTOR DRAWINGS

I vectorized and posted a lot of my drawings in SVG format using Autotracer.  I used to use Vectorizer, which did a great job, but now they are charging (though not much).




I was inspired to do this after discovering that Build with Robots opened a new shop just down the street from VM Coffee, as they specialize in robotic arms.  I asked if their paint bot could draw one of my figures, and the head of the company wrote be back in a nice email saying basically that was outside of their scope.  It's great to see companies like this in Albuquerque.




VACUUM FORMING

At Quelab we vacuum formed a few of my creations that had been 3D printed.  The ultimate idea was to use the plastic vacuum forms as molds.  I cast some forms in ice, but ultimately I'd like to cast in metal -- gallium specifically, since it does not need to be heated in a crucible, as it melts in your hand.  Moreover we can reuse that gallium to cast over and over.




We made casts of ice cubes
from the vacuum formed molds


I was thinking about Gallium Casting with the vacuum formed mold, because gallium is a non-toxic  metal that melts in your hand, and could be used over and over again:





Abraham AI

I contributed to a collaborative VQGAN project called Abraham with a few pieces in their online gallery.  The ultimate objective is to create an "autonomous artificial artist, a crowd sourced AI that generates art."




One of my contributions to the Abraham online gallery:



TZOMPANTLI in GUADALAJARA

I contributed to the Tzompantli project of Tres Gatos Press in Guadalajara -- "We are all Calaveras."

I emailed a JPG of this skull drawing below to Tres Gatos Press (Alejandra Mares and Xavier Moreno).  They added a QR code to my Instagram, and then pasted it up with a bunch of other skull submissions, to make a Tzompantli, or Aztec skull rack at the Panteón de Mezquitán in Guadalajara:












HALFTONE DRAWINGS


I converted the first 20 drawings from my book and posted them for download.  

The idea was to burn my drawings into a silk screen, so I needed to first convert the drawings into black-and-white before making serigraph prints:



I was unable to make serigraph prints with Pete McCracken at Remarque Print Workshop in Albuquerque, however Quelab hackerspace now has a big silk screen set-up that I can use:





The laser cutter also requires a binary black-and-white image.  We can laser cut linoleum (it is a safe material) at Quelab hackerspace to make plates for relief printing:



The problem with the linoleum is that the laser cut halftone dots are very delicate, and fall off when lightly rubbed with my fingers.  Adric suggested coating the laser cut linoleum with acrylic floor wax to strengthen the image for relief printing.

I was also able to reduce the byte size of these black-and-white images with Riot optimizer.



Pre-trained StyleGAN2 database

The pre-trained database of my drawings, which I made last year, was posted with others on GitHub in Justin Pinkney's post:  Awesome Pretrained StyleGAN2.




I had no idea until Mark Hanslip asked to use my database.  I was more than delighted to give him permission, and hope that others use it too.  I had submitted my drawing database, but I did not realize that it ever got posted.

With this AI database of my drawings one can make "latent spacewalks" revealing drawings that I never created.  I posted a playlist of some videos of these fakes drawings on YouTube:





UNSHARP MASK

I figured out a procedure using Deep Dream Generator and  Unsharp Mask in Photoshop Elements 2021 to lighten up my drawings; to give them more space, and make them more transparent:





False Exhibitions

I uploaded my drawings to Photofunia to create the illusions that I was exhibiting in a museum, on the cover of a magazine, creating graffiti, or projecting into other false scenarios.  These fake environments just compound the false illusions created with AI (Artificial Intelligence):













ONLINE GALLERY


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.