Saturday 6 November 2021

Drawings in Binary -- black and white dots (~halftone)

I altered the first 20 drawings from my book, "Finish My Figure Drawings," with Artificial Intelligence, and converted them into "Binary" black and white dots (essentially a halftone).



NOTE:  It looks like the images on this page are not binary -- rather you have to click on the image to see the bigger image, which is binary.


DOWNLOAD all binary drawings in PNG format:
Binary__first20.zip (874.87 KB)
{converted to PNGs in XnView -- Image>Filter> RIOT (c) Lucian Sabo (1.00)} RIOT is a free stand alone program as well.




UPDATE (December 30th):  Manuel Guerra in El Paso printed the above image at Horned Toad Prints studio, after I laser cut it into linoleum at Quelab.  Manuel dusted the linoleum first with French Chalk in order to fill the "valleys" of the shallow linoleum  plate, so that they would not pick up the ink.  I laser cut the linoleum shallow on purpose because if the individual halftone dots were too high (on too high of a stalk) they would rub off easily with the touch of your fingers:

The laser cut linoleum print
made from the halftone image



These binary figure images can be enlarged in The Rasterbator - Wall art generator.  The above 001 figure was enlarged this way:
































(no Deep Dream treatment)






(no Deep Dream treatment)


PROCEDURE

  • First I downloaded the web resolution drawing (~640 pixel width) from my blog, from the first 20 drawings in my book Finish My Figure Drawings
  • The KEY seems to be into first converting the drawings into just the Red channel in XnView -- (Image>Exact Channel>Red).
  • Then I upload that drawing (from the Red channel) to Deep Dream Generator to apply the thick wavy style from the image below, from my relief print:



  • I download the result and convert that into the Red channel with XnView ---- (Image>Exact Channel>Red).
  • Finally I adjust the contrast in XnView (Image>Adjust>Levels... or Normalize...), and convert it to binary -- {Image>Convert to Binary>Binary (Floyd Steinberg)}
  • Sometimes I thicken up the lines before converting the image into binary -- in XnView (Filter>Effects...>Minimum)

The Process
A)  Original web-sized file
B)  Converted to "Red channel"
C)  Style transferred from print in Deep Dream Generator
E)  Result blended with the "Red channel" image in Photoshop
F)  Changed to "Binary"


PRINTS

These binary/halftone images might lend themselves to printmaking.  I believe I can print them out on transparencies and burn them into silk screen to make serigraph prints.  The black dots have to be chunky enough to not fall out of the screen after it is exposed and washed.

I probably can also lasercut them into linoleum to make linocuts for relief printing.

HOWEVER the Xerox prints did not print out like the images on this blog post, where the dots in the background are grey. The dots in the copies printed all black (like the bigger image you get when you click on the images in this blog post).

The copies are a bit different
from the images on this blog post


Mosaic





I want a lighter background


Online programs:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.