Friday 30 December 2022

Hologram and AR -- 2022

In 2022 I dabbled with  AR (Augmented Reality) and Holograms, but have not made much progress with these digital mediums...yet:

AR (Augmented Reality)



WebAR is coming along nicely -- Augmented Reality WITHOUT requiring the viewer to download an app!  

We managed to upload a GLB file (second in this zip folder) to the <model-viewer> editor and successfully viewed my creations in AR using Adric's Pixel 6a smart phone, as seen in the images above and below.  


**  The key is to have an "ARCore-supported Android device," or a newer iPhone (which tends to flatten the AR figure, not rendering volume).  Google has a list of which phones will work (many of which are refurbished because they are no longer available as new).

WebXR conjures an AR image when you point the phone to a clear flat surface.  One might have to "un-pinch" the AR figure to enlarge it.  WebXR does NOT recognize a "TARGET" image yet.  That is, the viewer cannot point the phone at a picture and automatically have AR overlay an image over it, like they can with three Desert Triangle prints (though that requires an app).



Anyone with an AR capable smart phone can view my AR Tapir from THIS LINK.

All the AR code and contents can be downloaded in this zip file -- Tapir.zip (423 KB) -- however they need to be uploaded to a "server" in order to deliver the AR Experience.  (download just the 3D file, tapir.GLB  492 KB from my GDrive, or from SketchFab).

The correct WebXR code can be generated with the  <model-viewer> editor (here is a link to many of my GLB files that can be uploaded and used for WebAR).   However this code needs to be hosted on a server, and I am thankful that Brian is hosting it on his server for me.  I posted it on my GDrive with a public link, but that did not work. 

Note:  The <model-viewer> editor also generates a test link, which can be reached from their QR Code, to test to see if the AR worked.  It uses a piping server to temporarily host the code.  However this server will not store the file, so the AR experience is short lived:



Vossle looks like I can host an AR experience for free.  Glitch might host WebAR for free.  8th Wall will host the WebAR code, but they charge a fee. SketchFab AR.   Twitter will work too?

The Astronaut AR is hosted on Google's server, so that anyone can view it by going to THIS LINK.


PREVIOUS AR

In 2021 I uploaded one of my 3D drawings to Adobe Aero to create an AR experience. It was free, but the viewer needed an Adobe Aero app to view the AR (beta app for Android devices):



We used Adobe Aero in Santa Fe to project my figures in front of of the Thoma Foundation Art Vault Gallery.  The QR Code on the sticker below would conjure up my figure 210413__G.GLB into AR (augmented reality):



My sculptural drawings were supposed to be life sized in front of the Art Vault, however they projected too small:

April 27, 2021







HOLOGRAMS

I made a few holograms this year -- specifically the depth map diptychs -- for the Looking Glass Portrait display:

Hologram depth-diptych file
after the depth map on the right was altered by AI
(this file works to create a hologram)


Laptop next to the


I created a stand alone kit to show off the holograms without the computer -- with a 1.75 liter Really Useful plastic box, an external power charger, and a short USB-C to USB-C cord:

The stand alone hologram kit



QUICK METHOD
for creating a hologram file


I upload the main image into DPT Large, and then create a diptych in XnView (Create>Strip of images...), adding the resulting depth map on the right, as seen below:




Hologram files can be downloaded from the following GDrive folders:

Depth Map
 Hologram Diptychs

The depth-diptychs below can be uploaded directly to the Looking Glass Portrait display, to be seen as holograms:








** EXPERIMENTAL HOLOGRAMS **

This is Art, why not experiment?  I turned my AI creations into holograms; and further experimented with disparate depth maps to give them unusual 3D touches:



Rather than settle for the conventional diptych input file above, I broke the original color file down into three RGB channels in XnView (Image>Exact Channel) -- and paired the original with each, making three distinct hologram diptychs to upload to the Looking Glass Portrait display:



I also broke down this jaguar image below into half tones using XnView {Image>Convert to Binary>Binary (Floyd Steinberg)}, and attached the result to the left of the original.  The diptych delivered an interesting 3D touch when uploaded to the Looking Glass Portrait display:



Backwards Hologram

I worked backwards to create an odd hologram.  I first asked Midjourney to generate a depth map.  Then I applied the color to it using the Style Transfer feature in Deep Dream Generator.  Finally I butted the two files together in XnView and produced a weird 3D experience in the Looking Glass Portrait display:


Download: backwards_AI_hologram.jpg  (570 KB)



AI DEPTH MAPS
Extra Experiments

The image on the left is the original, and the image on the right has been altered with AI.  In XnView (Create>Strip of images...) I butted them side-by-side to see the difference. 

Then I upload the diptych to the Looking Glass Portrait display, and the 3D results were interesting, if not quite holograms.  Download the corresponding ".hop" file below the images, and upload them to the Looking Glass Portrait hologram display to see the transformations.

All the "hop" files below can be downloaded from the Hologram HOP Files>Experiments folder on my GDrive:





Two versions:










THOUGHTS

It would be nice to exchange 3D hologram slideshows on the Looking Glass Portrait display.  I can pack a lot of ".hop" files into a single zip folder, but I still think I'd have to load them one-by-one up to the Looking Glass Portrait display.

It would be even better if I could upload the hologram slide shows wirelessly.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.