Tuesday 13 December 2022

AI adjusted Linocuts


Midjourney (version 4) proved to vastly enhance a lot of my bad linocuts with AI:


LITERAL ENHANCEMENT

I uploaded an image of my bad print with a more literal descriptions of the actual scene:


Midjourney prompt: "black and white linocut print of a woman sitting on the floor"



Midjourney prompt: "linocut print of a woman sitting down"



Midjourney prompt: "linocut print of a woman sitting down"



Midjourney prompt: "linocut print of a woman sitting on a couch"



LESS LITERAL

I fudged a bit by entering prompts of what the bad linocut suggested, even though I didn't draw that exact image to begin with:


Midjourney prompt: "linocut of a woman in front of a traffic intersection"




Midjourney prompt: "linocut of a man standing in front of a corn field"


MIXES

A Mix of the previous two AI generated linocuts, no prompts:


Mix of two images



To stir things up I first generated a fake AI print in the style of the Mexican Master printmaker Leopoldo Mendez with only a prompt:

Midjourney prompt: "linocut print in the style of Leopoldo Mendez"


Then I mixed the best generated result with one of my bad linocuts (no additional prompt) and got the seated man below:


 Mix of two images



FANATASY
disconnected prompts

I added a prompt which had nothing to do with the image I uploaded



Midjourney prompt: "black and white linocut print of a javelina"





Midjourney prompt: "linocut print of a rhinoceros"




Midjourney prompt: " black and white linocut print of a chupacabra"





Midjourney prompt: "black and white linocut print of a desert tortoise"





Midjourney prompt: "black and white linocut print of a cricket"


What remains to be done is to laser engrave the best generated images into a 6x6 inch square of linoleum at Quelab (see settings) and make prints for the BUCKET EXHIBITIONS, like I did earlier this year.


My uploaded prints seem to have a big influence, but the results generated are very different from my prints.  How much of the fake print is me, and how much of it is the computer?  I think uploading my prints is a very different thing from just generating entirely from text.


LASER ENGRAVING

It took about an hour and fifteen minutes to laser engrave the first image of this blog post onto a 6x6 inch linoleum square at Quelab on December 13th.







The next day (December 13th) we printed the AI linocut at Henry Morales' studio, with sepia and yellow inks:

Sepia and yellow inks






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.