Sunday, 23 August 2026

GAUSSIAN SPLATS

I have been pushing 3D GAUSSIAN SPLATS since June 25th, 2026.

CLICK on the  Faded Yellow Links  under the images below to see an interactive display of 3D Gaussian Splats:

Our ALBU-BRIJES:

(28 MB loading)


FIGURE DRAWINGS from this month, August 2026:

(20 MB loading)


(17MB loading)




 P R O C E S S

I converted 2D images into 3D Gaussian Splats in ComfyUI with TripoSplat, and then composed them together in SuperSplat. Then I downloaded the compositions/arrangements and hosted those on a server at Quelab so that I can show them to the public (see the Links above).


TRIPOSPLAT
2D to 3D

I am generating Gaussian Splats with TRIPOSPLAT from my 2D drawings and images, and saving them as 3D SPZ files:

EXAMPLE

In the example below I uploaded the 2D image on the left to TripoSplat in ComfyUI and generated both the animation and the 3D Gaussian Splat for download -- 260819J.SPZ

Download "260819J.SPZ" (2.91 MB)
2D to 3D Gaussian Splat

I am using TRIPOSPLAT in ComfyUI locally on a computer at Quelab with 16 GBs of VRAM.  TripoSplat is really easy to install (unlike other ComfyUI programs).  Moreover the generation process is fast and free this way.


NOTE: The 3D Gaussian Splats cannot be viewed easily in a webpage (though embedding works).  They can be uploaded to a program online for viewing -- such as babylon.js.

I have downloaded the babylon Desktop App so that I can double-click to view 3D Gaussian Splats, even when I am not online.


*****

SUPERSPLAT
Composing the 3D Gaussian Splats

I then uploaded several Gaussian Splats and arranged them online in the SuperSplat Editor.

I first did this in late June 2026 with the arrangement below:

(20 MB load)

I then did this again on July 6, 2026 with the arrangement below:



At the time using SuperSplat overheated and slowed my laptop down really bad -- it probably uses a lot of resources on my computer.  However recently I was able to compose in SuperSplat without that problem.




HOLOGRAM

The LOOKING GLASS Holographic Display will now accept Gaussian Splats -- but in the bigger PLY format (not SPZ):


I saved the "Hologram."  Can I now upload this to the Looking Glass Go Display?

The "saved" Gaussian Splat hologram image






OTHER

Gaussian Splats are awkward to share at the moment, but they seem to be a quickly developing technology.  I found a GitHub list of a lot of Gaussian Splat resources:


Gaussian Splats cannot be 3D printed like traditional 3D formats (STL, OBJ...).  TripoSplat can also generate in printable formats in the last experimental step in ComfyUI -- however the results have too many holes in them to be entirely useful. 


I would like to use Gaussian Splats in AUGMENTED REALITY.  However this is not really free and easy at the moment:



LINKS


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.