Saturday 20 August 2022

More DALL-E 2

 I continued to experiment with DALL-E 2:



DALLE-2 Version

I started with a description of "America's most wanted painting" -- "a placid blue landscape, peopled in the foreground by relaxed human figures, including George Washington, as well as a couple of deer and a hippopotamus at the shoreline."  




The result was further edited used Deep Dream Generator and Photoshop Elements


This AI interpretation revisited the Komar & Melamid's project, when the two Russian artists took a survey of the qualities for the "most wanted" painting of each country, and then created paintings based on the results (YouTube explanation).



UPDATE (August 28):  The same prompt when  submitted to Midjourney:


of "America's Most Wanted Painting"




More Tapirs


I further altered the DALL-E 2 result with Deep Dream Generator and Photoshop Elements





Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds



Raw result UNEDITED


DALL-E 2 tends to be more literal.  Even after I skewed the image in Deep Dream Generator and Photoshop Elements I fell far short of John Lennon's vision:



I used three layers of AI --DALL-E 2, VQGAN+CLIP and Deep Dream Generator -- to alter one of my drawings into a bad Egon Schiele:



I started with this drawing


After uploading the above figure drawing to DALL-E 2, I erased part of the drawing (the image below is not the original erasing):

I erased most of the figure in DALL-E 2


DALL-E 2 "inpainted" into my drawing, referring to the prompt -- "in the style of Egon Schiele" -- and gave me three results.  Note that all versions keep the pencil drawing style:


Results for "in the style of Egon Schiele"


I preferred the first result and decided to further alter that:

The first result is the best
(as it usually is)

Lastly I applied the style of a fake Egon Schiele I made last year with VQGAN+CLIP, to the above image, using Deep Dream Generator.  

to the DALL-E 2 result,





Aikphrasis Revisited

I revisited the Aikphrasis Project that Holly Grimm organized in 2020.  18 artists, including me, created a visual work from text generated by GPT 3, an artificial intelligence program.

Into DALL-E 2, I uploaded the last two lines of the text generated for me -- "There’s this sense of, there’s a ghost world and a real world and they’re both in here. The bird’s in here I think, flying around."  




DALL-E 2 results


All the results were haunting, and poetically intriguing:

All four results were haunting,
and intriguing


My inspiration was to upload text also generated by AI, to generate images by AI... very incestuous.


The Aikphrasis Project is currently being exhibited at the Färgfabriken in Stockholm -- Sentient Machines? – Group exhibition exploring artificial intelligence and art -- from August 11 to August 21, 2022.


UPDATE (August 28):  Midjourney version with the same prompt:

“There’s this sense of, there’s a ghost world and a real world
 and they’re both in here.
The bird’s in here I think, flying around.”


Fake Exhibition

Ultimately I will have to print out a bunch of these fake art AI images and have a fake exhibition.  Since DALL-E 2 makes square images, they would easily print on 8x8 inch paper (best with 7x7 inch images, to have a half inch fake border) and fit in cheap Walmart 8x8 inch frames.  

This would follow the example of the 8x8 inch print exhibitions that we put on:




Maybe we should serve fake fruit at the opening of fake art -- Miracle Berries



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.