Monday 28 September 2020

More Push-Button Art

Continuing the Push-Button art approach in Deep Dream Generator, I applied colors and style from some of my other "best" AI altered drawings to the same reclining figure drawing.


I applied different styles
to this drawing
in Deep Dream Generator





***




***



EXTRA EDITING

Not everything turns out perfect.  After hitting the push-button, I slightly edited the results in Photoshop Elements (using "Layers" to blend the result with the original black and white image) to get the figures below:


***



Deep Dream Generator

***



Deep Dream Generator
Updated into better resolution
(345 to 640 pixels wide)

****


ANIMATED GIF

Animated GIF recap



*****

WORDS TO COLOR
Faster Push-Button AI Art


There are other AI (artificial intelligence) programs to make art.  Runway ML now has a Generative Engine that anyone can use (without signing up).  Just type in some words and an image pops up;





If the word-to-art result
were a little more high resolution,
perhaps I could transfer the style
with less fuzzy results


***

Maybe I should make a large print out of my AI altered art at FedEx Office.  Of course, large color print outs are a lot more expensive than black and white ones.


My drawing printed out large
at FedEx Office



THOUGHTS

Right now the Internet is asking who gets credit for creating AI art -- the artist or the computer scientists who wrote the program? The quote below is a little muddy, but leans away from the artist:

"When asked which people deserve the most recognition in the process of creating AI art, recognition was initially given to the artists who provided the learning algorithms with data and trained them. Only then were curators named, followed by technicians who programmed the algorithms. And finally, the 'crowd' (i.e. the mass of Internet users who produce the data material with which AIs are often trained) was mentioned. Respondents who humanized the AI gave more recognition to the technicians and the crowd, but proportionally less to the artists. 

 

I am trying to game the AI program, by more carefully matching the input style with the input drawing to get the best results.  I have found that -- Like on Like -- produces the best images in Deep Dream Generator. When the style of the reference image is "like" the style of the target input image, I get the best results.

So I have experimented by blending the styles from artists I admire with my drawings -- like those of Roberto Matta, Roger Dean, Moebius, Phillip Castle, Victor Moscoso, Smithe -- and frequently get decent results.  However I still have to do a lot of post-AI editing in Photoshop to get a satisfying image.  Even with my favorite artists, I cannot just push a button to blend artworks and create a instant masterpiece.   I really admire Alphonse Mucha's line work, but his style does not readily transfer to my drawings.  I have to do a lot of editing to get any faux-Mucha satisfaction (maybe I have to fine tune my skills, and draw more like Mucha).
 
However after a lot of Photoshop editing, I can often get a decent AI altered image.  Those fine tuned images work well when altering my drawings in Deep Dream Generator.  The best of my AI altered drawings blend the most fluidly with my raw black and white drawings -- so well that it is often a near instant push-button process to get pleasing results.  

Thus in my experience so far, "Like on Like" seems to work the best in Deep Dream Generator. However it often takes a lot of preparation to prepare "like" images that will blend well.  Thus maybe the artist who has primed the process should at least share some of the credit with the engineers for the AI masterpiece.


Additional Wrinkle

Soooo...how much credit do I deserve if I alter a fake drawing, albeit one generated in my style?  Earlier this month the computer generated thousands of fake Krrrl drawings, after I created a "model" using StyleGAN2 in Runway ML.  Moreover this "model" was really based on half bird drawings by some other unknown person(s), and half Krrrl drawings -- does that further dilute my credit, even if I directed the subsequent process?

AM I CLAIMING TOO MUCH CREDIT?
I applied the style of this ready-made image
to a fake Krrrl drawing


AM I CLAIMING TOO MUCH CREDIT?
I applied the style of this ready-made image
to a fake Krrrl drawing




No Fakes

I was aspiring to go big and print out my FAKE AI art pieces larger than iPads.  But then I discovered that There Art No Fakes (at least not by the Canadian artist Norval Morrisseau).  Where is the fun in that?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.