Saturday 2 May 2020

PNG to 3D

I converted one of my PNG files (of my drawing) into a 3D object.



Download the OBJ file here (566.84 KB)
(or download the ZIP: containing the OBJ and MTL files -- 189.81 KB).


Animated GIF of my drawing in 3D
(but without the image texture wrap)



PhotoAnim
software


I went from 2D into 3D using the free PhotoAnim software (download from Cnet).


There are easy tutorials on how to use the software -- I used "Real photo to 3D" to create my 3D file.




The "Real photo to 3D" takes you to the YouTube tutorial:





My 3D Drawing
example

PNG files with transparent backgrounds are the key.  I have a whole selection of them from my last blog post.







I imported my PNG file into the PhotoAnim software, and followed the tutorial -- "Animate Mode" icon (outlined green border), Animation/Initialize/3D from Front View Image/...:

I hit "Symmetry," and toyed with the settings
(Guard Ring setting, all the way to the right)


I readjusted the orientation of the OBJ file in Blender 2.82a:

I reoriented the OBJ file in Blender
so that it was perpendicular to the floor
(before it was laying on it's side, on the ground)


I uploaded the OBJ file in to the online program SculptGL, and added a background to it for fun  (from a previous blog posting, "Edging Towards Composition -- Part 4").  




I made the animated GIF at the beginning of this blog post, from screen captures in ScupltGL, without the background.






Again, the PNG files with transparent backgrounds were critical to creating a decent 3D file. A regular drawing would just be pasted on a 3D ball or object using the PhotoAnim software. However the outlines around a transparent PNG file stitch together nicely, to give a 3D file with unique contours.  Like they were sopapillas, inflating in the deep fryer.



BACK TO THE FUTURISTS

UMBERTO BOCCIONI 
digital sculpture


I admire the sculpture of the Italian Futurist Umberto Boccioni (1882 - 1916).

I noticed that Ander Raden and Matt Smith had recreated four lost sculptures of Boccioni from 2D photos, with 3D digital technology.



After making a 3D digital file, they probably milled out the new Boccioni sculptures the way Metalphysic milled out my sculpture in Tucson.








So I downloaded one of Boccioni's sculptures from Thingiverse (11.69 MB) -- the sculpture Unique Forms of Continuity in Space -- uploaded by Darioc.





Then I imported the Boccioni OBJ file into SculptGL, and altered it online.  The animated result is below:





Another Boccioni sculpture -- Spiral Expansion of Muscles in Action.





Smithsonian Institution
Metropolitan Museum of Art


One can now download and alter 3D files from the collection of the Smithsonian and also the Metropolitan Museum of Art.



Triceratops and Gudea 3D files
remixed together in SculptGL




How Far Can We Push Sculpture
in the 21st Century

I have been trying to push sculpture in the digital realm during the last decade, and things have really advanced since 2010.


2011


2012


2012


2013


A big goal of mine is to create a sculpture that visitors could control with their smart phones.


2014



2017
(can be viewed stereoscopically,


2017



I touched on this topic again recently when Josh from Quelab revived my interest in direct 3D printing into metal casting.


AI

I am now looking forward to when AI (artificial intelligence) will help create 3D objects from 2D images:







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.