Sunday 19 February 2023

AI Holograms

SUMMARY: The quickest way to make HOLOGRAMS is to generate "depth map diptychs" with RGBD PHOTO -- and  then "drag and drop" those JPG files into the LOOKING GLASS STUDIO program, to sync them into the LOOKING GLASS PORTRAIT display.


The source image for the examples
to turn into a 3D HOLOGRAM
(AI-generated  image in my drawing style)


AI HOLOGRAM SLIDESHOWS

My ultimate aim is to create and share HOLOGRAM Slideshows:
After creating these two HOLOGRAM slideshows above, of AI Art for the Looking Glass Portrait display, I began investigating about how to streamline the process.


THE DIFFERENT PROCESSES

I discovered 3 online programs that would give me the DEPTH MAPS that the Looking Glass Portrait display needs to generate a 3D HOLOGRAM:

The bottom two programs basically generated the same thing; but the top program -- DPT-Large -- generated a slightly different kind of depth map, which I thought gave a more pleasing 3D HOLOGRAM.  One can download all three HOP files, generated by the three programs, to compare the differences. 


1)  DPT-Large

I created the first hologram diptych in a two part process.  First I created a depth map by uploading the top source image above to DPT-Large.  Then I created a diptych in XnView (Create>Strip of images...), with the original to the left of the depth map:

  • The resulting hologram was spatially different in the Looking Glass Portrait display from those generated by the two processes below.



 I uploaded the main source image to RGB to RGBD for Looking Glass (using MiDaS), and it automatically generated a diptych, ready to be uploaded to the Looking Glass Portrait:





I uploaded the main source image to RGBD Photo and it also automatically generated diptych, ready to be uploaded to the Looking Glass Portrait:




Other

I also uploaded the three different depth maps to DEPTHY, but the resulting animated GIFs were all the same:

The next best thing to a hologram


SLIDE SHOW
Creation

Ultimately I wanted to create a SLIDESHOW of HOLOGRAMS to share with others on the Internet. I then asked how in the Looking Glass Discord; and also linked to the ZIP file of the HOLOGRAM Slideshow I created:




Almost immediately Bryan answered:

You can drag and drop all the hop files into looking glass studio and then import them that way, there’s no wireless solution currently, you’d need to sync the files to the Looking Glass Portrait with Looking Glass Studio

I "dragged and dropped" several files at once into the Looking Glass Studio program, and that worked wonderfully.  I could even import HOP and JPG files at the same time.

However I still had to DELETE each file individually...there was no way to highlight a bunch of files and delete in quantity... however if one BACKSPACES he can delete a file quickly from the Looking Glass Studio

  • Also note that if one changes the extension -- from HOP to ZIP -- he can get the original JPG diptych file, download it and alter it

EXPERIMENTS

For fun I uploaded the entire diptych (the first one created in DPT-Large) into Leonardo.AI and altered it with the "KRRRL Paintings" model:

I uploaded this whole diptych
to Leonard.AI and altered it


The new HOLOGRAM diptychs worked in Looking Glass Portrait -- download all the images below as HOP files:
Previous Hologram Posts

OTHER IDEAS:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.