Sunday 14 October 2018

October 13, 2018

Drawn in the Argos Gallery of Santa Fe:


Proof made on October 19th,
in Albuquerque


6 x 6 inches
Unetched





I used a tool made by Dennis Liberty,
basically a sharped and curved nail
in a pin vise







What a print might look like,
simulated by XnView



I etched the plate in ferric chloride for 30 minutes,
in Albuquerque


WITHOUT taking off the BIG grounds,
I inked the etched plate with Akua black ink


The proof
next to the inked plate --
note that the BIG grounds are still on the plate


I cleaned the plate with mineral oil and alcohol, and the BIG grounds were still on the plate. Which means that I might be able to add lines, and etch the plate again -- without re-coating the plate with more grounds



At Remarque/New Grounds I found this Golden Stop-Out varnish, that they might have be using as hard grounds.



Later, about the 25th of October, I took the plate down to Manuel Guerra's studio in El Paso -- the Horned Toad Prints taller.  He proofed the plate on the small E-09 Conrad press I lent him, and with many different inks.  The subtle variations were stunning, with a range of dark to lighter proofs.


Best proof


The wide variation of proofs
with different inks


The 8 x 8 inch plate,
fit perfectly on the small E-09 Conrad press


Manuel Guerra gives is a crank --
will it be good enough for the 
with he is co-sponsoring?


Things looking good
at Horned Toad Prints taller
in El Paso


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.