Tuesday 21 July 2015

July 8, 2015

Drawn at La Ceiba Grafica, in Coatepec, Mexico (outside of Xalapa):











La Ceiba Grafica is a lithography and printmaking complex, located in an old hacienda, in Coatepec (near Xalapa, where Jalapenos come from).   They make all their own lithography supplies.  I made a small lithography print while I was there:





La Ceiba Grafica makes their own wooden litho presses


View of the back patio


They use marble stones,
which they mine locally


I choose a gesture drawing,
which I had sketched the night before,
at their open life drawing session on Wednesday nights


My transferred drawing


I drew with litho pencils,
which they had made at the studio


I also used the tusche
they made at the studio


My stone on one of their 
homemade wooden litho presses


I inked the image up darker than I drew it


The final print,
made on their homemade cotton paper
(which they made from discarded cotton towels
from local hotels)


They scraped the walls of a local breadmaking kitchen,
to get the black pigment,
which they used to make litho pencils
and printmaking ink


I went to the Anthropology Museum in nearby Xalapa, housing many original Olmec heads:


Very impressive museum


Prehispanic printmaking,
using clay rollers
to print seals


Awesome miniature printmaking,
on Amate paper


Print show in a pulqueria!
The most appropriate print venue.
Zamer (from Mexico City)
was showing his print masterpieces 
at "La Otra" pulqueria in Xalapa


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.