Tuesday 10 March 2020

10 Years of Blogging

Today marks 10 years of blogging (days before the Coronavirus scare set in in the US):






Best Drawings


 I am reflecting on all the figure drawing and other things that I have accomplished in the last decade, beginning with my best drawings and books:

Old Drawings


2012 and Before


Canvas Drawings
Since 2012


 2012 - 2016



Selected Drawings -- 01
Selected Drawings -- 02
Selected Drawings -- 03
Selected Drawings -- 04


2018



2019



AI DRAWINGS

Artificial Intelligence Drawings




CHINESE INTERPRETATION
of my drawing






BOOKS












FRESCOES

I investigate and blogged about creating fresco painting, and worked with Gonzalo Espinosa at the Sculpture Resource Center in Tucson, in order to realize a few large frescoes:








SCULPTURE


In the last decade, I have interpreted some of my drawings into sculptures, with the help of Dennis Liberty and Daniel Hornung.




collaboration with Dennis Liberty


collaboration with Daniel Hornung


***

Sculpture Projects

I was behind four Tucson Sculpture Festivals, from 2012 -- 2015.  I stepped in and helped direct the one in 2012.  I headed up the one in 2013.  And I helped produce the ones in 2014 and 2015, run by Tanya Rich.  I produced all the catalogs.


TUCSON SCULPTURE FESTIVAL 
2012


TUCSON SCULPTURE FESTIVAL 
2013





TUCSON SCULPTURE FESTIVAL 
2014
by Tanya Rich


TUCSON SCULPTURE FESTIVAL 
2015
by Tanya Rich


I have been wanting to create sculptures that the view can control with their smart phones, and we realized a few proof-of-concepts, such as this ad hoc demo that we put together with the Intel rep at the Southwest Maker Fest 2014 in front of Heatsync Labs hackerspace in Mesa, Arizona (outside of Phoenix).



Later we collected a lot of the 3D files and made a sculpture garden on Sketchfab in 2017, with the help of FabLab El Paso:



I also helped a little bit with the two sculpture projects below, created by Dennis Liberty and Martin Quintanilla:

Tanya Rich looking on







PRINTS

I translated a few of my drawings into prints, including the collaborations with Raul Urias (Skinpop) and Manuel Guerra, as well at the augmented reality collaboration with David Figueroa of Augment El Paso, for the Desert Triangle Print Carpeta.










***

Print Projects

I also organized many print exhibitions, starting with YayBig Southwest, where Tanya Rich and I showed prints in pop-up venues across the Southwest, based on the printmakers from YayBig Gallery in Tucson, run by Joe Marshall.  This momentum culminated in the YayBig Print Exchange, which I pushed under the direction of Joe Marshall. 


YayBig Southwest
with Joe Marshall and Tanya Rich


Partial list of YayBig Southwest pop-up print shows below:
  • El Paso -- Chalk the Block (October 2013)
  • Albuquerque -- New Grounds Print Workshop (March 2014)
  • Phoenix  -- 11th Monk3y (April 2014)
  • Tucson -- YayBig Gallery, exhibition (June 2014)
  • Tucson -- downtown Cartel Coffee Lab, exhibition part 1 (November/December 2014)
  • Tucson -- downtown Cartel Coffee Lab, exhibition part 2 (February 2015)
  • San Antonio -- Gallista Gallery (April 2015)
  • Las Cruces, New Mexico (November 2014)


YayBig Print Exchange
with Joe Marshall



  • Tucson -- The Drawing Studio (September 2014)
  • El Paso -- Chalk the Block (October 2014)
  • Tucson -- YayBig Gallery (November 2014)
  • Tucson -- Cartel Coffee Lab on Campbell (November 2014 -- April 2015)
  • Woodland, California (near Sacramento) -- TANA (June 2015)
  • Juarez, Mexico -- Juarez Contemporary Gallery (January to March, 2016)
  • Yuma, Arizona -- Western Arizona College (May to August, 2016)
  • Santa Fe, New Mexico -- Tathagata Coffee (October to December 2016)
  • Albuquerque -- Remarque Print Workshop (February/March 2017)


HORNED TOAD II PRINT EXCHANGE



I produced the catalog and helped Manuel Guerra with the Horned Toad II Print Exchange (2017).  Below is a list of exhibitions we had:

  • Oaxaca  -- Espacio Centro (October 2017)
  • El Paso -- Galeria de la Mission Senecu (March to April, 2018)
  • Monterrey, Mexico -- Taller La Catrina (April 2018)
  • El Paso -- Cafe Tolteca (April/May 2018)
  • Yuma, Arizona -- Western Arizona College (August/September 2018)
  • Silver City, New Mexico -- Seedboat Gallery during the Southwest Print Fiesta (2018)
  • El Paso -- Galeria Cinco Puntos (2019)


Ambos Lados 
International Print Exchange


I helped Manuel Guerra with the Ambos Lados International Print Exchange (which Manuel Guerra co-organized with Taller Grafica Libre of Oaxaca in 2019).  From the list of exhibitions on the Ambos Lados blog:

  • Arlington, Texas (between Dallas and Fort Worth) -- SGCI print conference (2019)
  • Santa Fe, New Mexico -- Argos Studio/Gallery (2019)
  • Oaxaca, Mexico -- IAGO (Instituto de Artes Graficas de Oaxaca), presentation (2019)
  • Silver City, New Mexico -- Light Art Space, during the 4th Annual Southwest Print Fiesta (2019)
  • Taos, New Mexico -- Taos Center for the Arts (2020)


I organized the Desert Triangle Print Carpeta in 2015, and many exhibitions from then to the present.  The Desert Triangle is now part of 7 collections, listed below.


Desert Triangle Print Carpeta






COLLECTIONS



The Desert Triangle Print Carpeta is part of the following collections:

Juan Sandoval Collection (3)
El Paso Museum of Art (5)
University of Arizona Museum of Art (7)
El Centro Cultural Antiguo Colegio Jesuita, in Pátzcuaro, Michoacan, Mexico
Mexic-Arte Museum (11)
Tucson Museum of Art (15)
University of Texas at San Antonio, Library Special Collections (17)



OTHER PRINT EXHIBITIONS

Below are selected other print exhibitions that I organized:



* exhibitions that I curated, but did not have my work in them

***


This is just a glimpse summary of what has happened during this blog -- more details are in the HIGHLIGHTS blog posting.



FUTURE

I have been looking online for artists that draw like me in a similar style, with the most success in the Russian search engine Yandex.  However the best fit seems to be the sculpture by Umberto Boccioni.  I was excited to discover that Matt Smith and Anders Råden recreated some of the lost sculpture of Boccioni using digital technology





I have been pleased with what AI (artificial intelligence) can do to my drawings,  using Google's online Deep Dream Generator program, and a lot of subsequent editing in Photoshop.  Specifically the process I used on the February 26th drawings gives more form to my drawings, without arresting the motion.  The results remind me even more of Boccioni's work, which has always heavily influenced me.

NOTEOn Thingiverse one can download Boccioni's most famous sculpture -- Unique Forms of Continuity in Space -- and print or "remix" it as one wishes.






I really like the idea of pursuing the Boccioni influence, and all the more so digitally.  This is the 21st century after all.  


***

Also, I'm experimenting again with 3D printing with Joshua from QueLab hackerspace in Albuquerque.  We are trying out a new filament, which would promises to burn out of the investment plaster when bronze casting, like in the traditional lost wax casting process.   The Smithsonian Institution has uploaded a lot of files, including 3D STL files, for download, so we will probably start by 3D printing a classical Greek Slave sculpture.  



In short, we are revisiting the "lost PLA casting" process that we experimented with at Xerocraft hackerspace in Tucson in 2012, with the next genertion of materials.



***

This link leads to a lot of digital resources online, which I can exploit to make 21st Century Art.


And to realize that I'm treating this blog more as a digital studio, rather than a gallery, like I initially imagined.  My Instagram is a much better gallery, and attracts more attention than my blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.