Monday, 17 August 2026

Die Cut TESSELLATION Tiles

I stamped out "hat" EXQUISITE TESSELLATION tiles with a Die that I ordered on Ebay from the Ukraine.  On August 15, 2026 at Quelab I punched out a stack of tessellation tiles from a 4'x8' sheet of Expanded PVC Foam with a Leather Press:


Stack of Expanded PVC Foam TESSELLATION tiles
punched out with a die
using the Leather Press


Tim at Quelab ordered the die for me in 2025. Adric bought a leather press for Quelab in February 2026:



I needed to put a backing board behind the Expanded PVC Foam to cushion the Die Cutting.  Thanks to Bradford for cutting a board down for me:




Alternating the orientation
allowed me to get more tessellation pieces






There is a little play between the tessellation pieces
when put together


The final stack
from a 4'x8' sheet of Expanded PVC Foam

We had to cut down the PVC foam board into 6 inch x 24 inch strips that would fit in the Leather Press:

6 inches high


24 inches long


24 inches


NOTE

We can NOT cut the Expanded PVC Foam on the laser cutter because the heat will create Chlorine gas, which is poisonous and hurts the laser cutter.  That is why I punched out the tessellation shapes by hand.

However we CAN cut out the tessellation shapes from the Expanded PVC Foam on the CNC at Quelab:





WORKSHOP

The advantage of Expanded PVC tiles is that artists can just gouge designs into the foam with ball point pens -- rather than cut into it with knives.  This way a group of artists can design tiles QUICKLY, and pull a collaborative in the same session.  We did this at the Quelab Open House during the Atomic 66 Week in 2025:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.