Monday 13 March 2023

March 13, 2023

Drawn at Art Buddies in Albuquerque:




















PRINTMAKING

On March 4th we did some spontaneous printmaking at Quelab.  I cut down a bunch of Styrofoam trays that I bought at the Dollar Tree -- which can be gouged with ball point pens -- then inked and printed.

Cutting down Styrofoam trays,
into 6 x 4.5 inch flat pieces


Kati gouged/drew a flower into the Styrofoam plate,
and we printed it


The prints did not come out so nice -- I blame the Teflon tray that I was was inking in.
The ink did not roll thin on the brayer, but rather clumped up like small tacks, and ultimately over inking the Styrofoam (the ball point pen lines were somewhat shallow as well).  We tried both Akua and Supergraphic black inks, and they both clumped up:

The prints did not come out so nice


Adam kicked off the whole process when he inked a lion head that he had just cut out on in wood on the CNC router.  He printed in two ways -- with the paper on top of the woodcut, and then by pressing the wood cut on top of the paper:

Adam rubbing the Iron Frog baren over paper
to make a lion head print


Adam pressing the inked woodcut into paper,
as if it were a rubber stamp


Both methods made a decent print



Santa Fe

On Friday, March 10th, I took the Rail Runner up to Santa Fe ($1.75 round trip):

I went to Tim Jag's opening for his new mural at Henry and the Fish:

Tim Jag pointing to his new mural
during his opening at Henry and the Fish


Pete McCracken is now running the Palace Press, located in the annex to the Palace of the Governors  (the oldest building in the country):





A wonderful poetic touch was the print hanging at the back of the Palace Press, by Sergio Sánchez Santamaría, the last director of the famous TGP (Taller de Grafica Popular)

was created at the Palace Press print shop


Another Mexican artist was showing at Site Santa Fe -- Pedro Reyes.  His exhibition -- Direct Action -- was about gun violence:



Pedro Reyes turned 6700 destroyed guns into musical instrument -- Disarm -- started in 2012:

Xylophone made of guns






October 2013
concert from the "Disarm" instruments


Andy Thurlow was creating his own metal instruments in Tucson -- The Anarchestra.  We met him in  2009:



Wheat paste in Santa Fe



Midjourney prompt: "sculpture festival in Santa Fe"
The sculpture from the previous image
reimagined with AI in Midjourney 



"Too Long Didn't Read"


Leonardo.AI

Leonardo.AI updated and changed their program on March 9th, which hurt my results.  Before I could upload one of my drawings, choose my AI drawing model, hit "Prompt Magic," and ask for a "sculpture in the style of Bernini," and generate nice results.

Apparently there is a different procedure to upload my drawing with the "Prompt Magic" button switched on, but the generated results have no apparently relation to my drawing.

I could find nothing about this on Discord, and Leonardo.AI changed their Discord so that I could not comment.  They even took off one of my previous comments, before they restricted the Discord.


Gogotte is a natural formation that looks like a great abstract sculpture, so I wanted to add it to my AI prompts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.