Saturday 7 November 2020

Drawings to Sculpture and Prints

The Drawing Center in New York City put out an open call for drawing submissions -- Viewing Program 20/21 (apply by November 30th).  The requirement is that "drawings should be central to the applicant's body of work."  

However drawings are also the basis for work in more substantial mediums, so first I wanted to reflect on how my drawings developed into sculpture and prints, mostly through collaborations with other artists.


SCULPTURE

3D Relief

Dennis Liberty translated one of my drawings from my first self-published book into a relief sculpture, which later Gonzalo Espinosa turned into a ceramic relief sculpture in 2011.









Alison Aragon and Eric Koenig later helped me translate this relief into "transparent sculpture."



Figure Embedded In Crystal

James Stewart translated one of my drawings into a 3D file, with floating pieces. I had the STL file lasered into a crystal cube with vitrography in 2012.  It is sort of like a solid hologram.





Digital to Styrofoam

Daniel Hornung translated one of my drawings into a 3D digital file, and milled it out into Styrofoam at Metalphysic in Tucson in 2015.  Ed Muren III painted it in 2017.






Manuel Guerra collaborated on a print edition pulled by Taller 75 Grados in Mexico City in 2019.  My drawing was first enhanced by the AI (artificial intelligence) online program Deep Dream Generator.






I applied the style of one of Pavel Acevedo's prints to my drawing to make a print edition for the Southwest Print Fiesta Print Exchange 2020.





Raul Urias of Skinpop in Mexico City freely translated two of my drawings into a serigraph print edition, pulled by Taller 75 Grados in 2016.
 





COLORED
WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS

Pilo Portillo colored one of my drawings before it was made into a serigraph edition at Proper Print Shop in El Paso in 2016.



Taller 75 Grados in Mexico City helped me color this print, and pulled my serigraph print edition for the Horned Toad II Print Exchange in 2017.





YAYBIG PRINT EXCHANGE

Gonzalo Espinosa and Tanya Rich helped me make my serigraph print edition for the YayBig Print Exchange in 2014. 





HORNED TOAD PRINT EXCHANGE

Joe Marshall helped me print this edition, after I laser cut a wood panel to make a relief print for the first Horned Toad Print Exchange in 2014. 




DIALOGOS Y INTEPRETACIONES
PRINT EXCHANGE 2015

Gonzalo Espinosa helped me create an intaglio print edition after I laser cut my drawing into plastic.  This was for the 4th Annual Dialogos y Interpretaciones Print Exchange in 2015.







DRAWN DIRECTLY ONTO THE PLATE

Manuel Guerra printed a waterless lithography edition after I drew from a live model onto the aluminum plate in 2013.



 DRAWING
 INTO OTHER MEDIUMS

CHINESE PAINTING

I sent one of my drawings to Xiamen, China to get it painted in oil (through Sun Bird Arts).





FUZZY BLANKET

John Tollett ordered a fuzzy blanket on Zazzle with my AI (artificial intelligence) altered drawing on it in 2019.






BOOKS

John Tollett designed my second book of drawings self-published on Amazon in 2018.



I self-published my first book of drawings on Lulu in 2018.



COLLABORATION
 YET TO EMERGE

John Tollett and I collaborated back and forth online to arrive at the image below in 2020.  We have as of yet to make a fuzzy blanket, or send it to China to be painted, or otherwise.


More Collaborations

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.