Tuesday 17 May 2022

May 17, 2022

The Tuesday Night drawing group of Santa Fe drew both in person and on Zoom at the new Argos Gallery/Studio location. They arranged a hybrid real/virtual drawing session because we are still coming out of Covid:




























John Tollett drew live from the same session, while I drew on Zoom from the laptop.


PRINT

On May 18th, I experimented with the LaserPecker 2 by engraving my drawing into LINOLEUM.  I downloaded the first figure in this blog post and imported that into the LaserPecker 2 app, where I edited the image.  The debris/dots were more of an artifact of editing in the app. The app cropped the image and I engraved it 100mm high.  

Engraving with the LaserPecker 2


In only five minutes the laser engraver copied my drawing onto the linoleum, but the 10% depth might have engraved deeper than I wanted.  The idea is to hand carve the laser transferred image:

  • Material "wood," Power "100%," Depth "10%," Pass "1," Time "5 minutes"

5 minute: OUTLINE
Image transferred in order to hand carve


The 30% Depth took over ten minutes to engrave, and the cuts were somewhat deep.  Maybe this would make a good intaglio print, or even a decent inverse relief print.
  • Mode "pencil," Material "custom (wood)," Power "100%," Depth "30%," Pass "1," Time "10:20"

Ten minute: ~PRINTABLE
This might print
a reverse image
(white lines on black background)


The print from the above linocut
(made on May 19th)


I inverted the image in order to cut everything but the lines.  This took over an hour to cut, and the lines were too thin, and the engraving too shallow to make a decent print:

  • Material "custom (wood)," Power "100%," Depth "30%," Pass "1," Time "65:12"

Hour: WORTHLESS
After I inverted the image,
the lines were too thin
and the cut was too shallow
to make a good relief print


I probably would have done better had I edited and cleaned up the image before importing it into the Laserpecker 2 app.  Also there must be a way to import a vector SVG file to make the cutting a lot faster.


Burning the image into PAPER wasn't so successful:

  • Mode "pencil," Material "recycled paper," Power "100%," Depth "10%," Pass "1," Time "5"
I could probably burn a better image into paper

Note:  Choosing "Grey" did not work on the paper, though I didn't play around with the settings much








No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.